Our nation’s education system is leaving millions of students—including an overwhelming number of students of color and low-income students—unprepared for college, career, and life. While research shows that classroom teachers are the single most important in-school factor in improving student achievement, their diverse voices are consistently left out of education policy decisions. For far too long, teachers have been treated as subjects of change rather than as agents of change.
Founded by public school teachers, Educators for Excellence is a growing movement of 25,000 educators, united around a common set of values and principles for improving student learning and elevating the teaching profession. We work together to identify issues that impact our schools, create solutions to these challenges, and advocate for policies and programs that give all students access to a quality education
What We Do
Through our chapters in communities across the country, we provide opportunities for teachers to stay informed, expand their leadership, connect with colleagues and decision-makers, and advocate for change.
Through our work, we provide an opportunity to help shift an inequitable educational system caused by systems of oppression. E4E has expanded to six chapters across the country since 2010 and is looking this year to deepen in impact and excellence. Therefore, we focus advancement on increasing excellence within roles so that each employee’s work directly impacts our mission and vision.
To further our mission of equity in education, our Minnesota team is hiring a Managing Director of Development (MDD). Reporting to the Executive Director-Minnesota, the MDD will lead local efforts to build and steward exceptional relationships with local funders (individual, corporate, and foundation). The Managing Director of Development will work closely with the local Executive Director and the National Vice President of Growth Strategy and Development to design and implement a multi-year, ambitious fundraising strategy that ultimately allows the site to fully sustain operations with local support.
E4E-Minnesota seeks to increase the proportion of locally-raised funds, with the goal of raising its entire budget from local donors. This support will sustain our organization and efforts over the long-term.
This leader must have a proven track record of results in fundraising, experience communicating and developing relationships with donors and colleagues, energy to work as a team with Executive Directors and the National Development Team in a fast-paced environment, and a passion for maximizing E4E’s impact in teacher-led grassroots organizing, policy and advocacy. Furthermore, the MDD will deeply understand the vital importance of partnership building and the connection between this work stream and our organization’s overall success.
Strategically Plan and Analyze:
- Partner with the local Executive Director and Deputy Director of Regional Giving to develop and implement a multi-year strategy for ambitiously increasing the size and number of gifts
- Leverage research, local landscape knowledge, and fundraising expertise to make strategic recommendations
- Track and analyze portfolio activity and provide regular updates to the Executive Director and Deputy Director of Regional Giving, working to ensure data integrity while conducting sound data analysis and continuously improving team strategy
- Ensure we are maximizing partner opportunities for the chapter, across chapters and in support of organization-wide efforts
- Analyze and understand the local landscape, trends, and market to inform revenue goals and projections
- Maintain strong data systems to track all deadlines, communications, and grant agreements
- Support the design and execution of engagement and stewardship plans
- Lead in planning and executing donor-facing events, such as house parties or sponsorship of programmatic events
- Work with the Executive Director to steward and effectively leverage our Local Advisory Board
- Strategize, coordinate, and execute timely, accurate and compelling interactions with funders in partnership with the Executive Directors, and in some cases, the Deputy Director of Regional Giving, and/or Co-CEOs
- Build relationships with other Managing Directors of Development in local chapters as well as national team members
- Work closely with the Deputy Director of Regional Giving to share information, best practices, and lessons learned to strengthen local and organizational fundraising
- Work with chapter team members to integrate fundraising into team and member efforts as well as authentically engage donors and prospects in E4E’s work
- Build a network of external development partners and relationships as a local representative of E4E
- Assist in crafting effective messages to share E4E’s impact and future plans with diverse audiences
- Deeply understand donors and prospects to support the creation and delivery of compelling and meaningful, tailored ongoing communications with donors
- Lead in writing all grant proposals and reports
- Bachelors degree and four to seven years of fundraising/development experience required, including grant writing experience
- One of the following experiences: one year or more as a Pre K-12 classroom teacher, some form of teaching, school-based professional experience or previous work within non-profits and/or foundations
- Proven track record of success in supporting donor/client portfolio development and working across multiple projects, priorities, and teams
- A high sense of urgency and demonstrate self-motivation, a focus on goals, and commitment to high-quality execution
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated leadership ability to motivate others
- Exceptional organization skills, high level of efficiency, and ability to manage operations and multiple projects at a time with precision
- Strong project management experience
- Demonstrated ability to produce and deliver clear, concise, formal and informal oral and written communications to a variety of audiences
- Grace, professionalism, excellent judgment, discretion, and impeccable ethical standards
- Ability and willingness to achieve results through others and laterally manage local team members
- A commitment to building mission-aligned partners, who are excited to bring their diverse resources (ideas, networks, time, skills, and experience, in addition to financial resources) to bear in order to achieve our mission
- Knowledge of Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and Word required; Database (e.g. SalesForce) experience
- Prior experience planning and executing fundraising events
- Prior experience working in advocacy, policy, and/or education non-profits
Moreover, all E4E staff members will demonstrate our Core Values:
- Respect and Professionalism: We act with personal responsibility, respect, and commitment to high quality work, to our organization and to each other
- Solutions Orientation: We consistently approach even the most complex challenges with positivity, proactive solutions, and the assumption of best intentions
- Growth Mindset: We intentionally create opportunities to develop ourselves and others in order to learn and continuously improve
- Dynamic Leadership: We courageously take ownership, empower others, set bold visions, think strategically, and adapt to change
- Diversity and Inclusiveness: Educational inequity is linked to race, power, and privilege, and so we take action to shift this paradigm by reflecting on our own identities, creating an inclusive and diverse community, and leveraging our differences as strengths
Benefits and Applying
Educators for Excellence believes in providing employees with benefits to support self-care, wellness, and financial stability. We value the whole person and provide benefits such as; paid time off, health insurance plans, competitive salaries that include pre-tax benefits, and cell phone reimbursements. See more information about our benefits here.
Applications can be addressed to Madaline Edison, Executive Director — Minnesota, and should include a resume and cover letter. Please ensure that all materials address relevant experience and your understanding of how this position connects to the overall mission of E4E.
Educators for Excellence is an equal opportunity employer. We predominantly partner with low-income communities of color. Although race and other identity markers are never used to make hiring decisions, we place a particular focus on recruiting staff members who share the backgrounds of the communities we serve.