Our nation’s education system is leaving millions of students—including an overwhelming number of students of color and low-income students—unprepared for college, career, and life. While research shows that classroom teachers are the single most important in-school factor in improving student achievement, their diverse voices are consistently left out of education policy decisions. For far too long, teachers have been treated as subjects of change rather than as agents of change.
Founded by public school teachers, Educators for Excellence is a growing movement of 25,000 educators, united around a common set of values and principles for improving student learning and elevating the teaching profession. We work together to identify issues that impact our schools, create solutions to these challenges, and advocate for policies and programs that give all students access to a quality education
What We Do
Through our chapters in communities across the country, we provide opportunities for teachers to stay informed, expand their leadership, connect with colleagues and decision-makers, and advocate for change.
Reporting to the Executive Director-New York, the Managing Director of Outreach (MDO) will develop and implement E4E’s organizing model for the local chapter, with a focus on building E4E’s membership, developing members’ leadership skills, and tracking progress to inform strategy. The Managing Director will directly manage two Senior Outreach Directors who coach, support and manage 13 Outreach Directors. With the support of the Executive Director, the MDO will oversee the training and development of the entire outreach team. The Managing Director of Outreach will ensure that Senior Outreach Directors leverage best practices as they manage Outreach Directors to build and deepen relationships with teachers. The MDO will also work closely with the Managing Director of External Affairs to help teachers learn about, network around, and take action on policy issues.
Designing and Implementing Organizing Strategy
- Set E4E-New York’s organizing vision and strategy, including the identification of target schools; the allocation of staff and other resources; and the development issue-based campaigns
- Refine our organizing tactics to build membership, increase teacher engagement in our advocacy campaigns and transform educators into organizers
- Strengthen team strategy by tracking and analyze membership growth and engagement, conducting sound data analysis and ensuring data integrity
- Build relationships with key education stakeholders across the state on behalf of E4E, identifying shared stances and strategic opportunities for E4E to collaborate with other organizations
Management and Leadership
- Embody E4E’s core values and model organizational stewardship for the outreach team and for the organization more broadly
- Recruit, lead, coach, and retain our outreach team by directly managing two Senior Outreach Directors who support thirteen Outreach Directors
- Ensure the team’s professional growth and development in order to implement our local campaigns successfully
- Maintain strong culture across the outreach team by managing through a lens of diversity and inclusion, and equipping Senior Outreach Directors with the skills and resources to do so in their management
- Encourage creative thinking around and support the expansion of organizing strategies and norm best practices
- Bachelor’s degree and 7+ years of professional experience, including managing through layers, preferably in issue-based organizing campaigns
- Track-record of successfully setting vision and direction for a team, and directly managing, coaching and developing a diverse team to achieve ambitious results
- Exceptional organization skills, high level of efficiency, and ability to manage at the macro and micro level with precision
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, cultural competence, and demonstrated ability to influence and motivate others, and cultivate trusting relationships with staff and key stakeholders from diverse backgrounds
- Adept at navigating a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment, and an ability to manage complexity and moving parts with ease
- Microsoft Excel and database (e.g. SalesForce) experience strongly preferred
- Knowledge of the key players and issues impacting the NY educational landscape
- Must be willing to travel across NY frequently
Moreover, all E4E candidates will have a/an:
- Deep commitment to ensuring equity for all students, improving education, and closing the opportunity gap
- Political savvy and keen interest in/understanding of education policy, the education reform movement broadly, and the power and politics of the education landscape both locally and nationally
- Grit, grace under pressure and a good sense of humor
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Demonstrated record as both a team player and a self-starter, including exceptional organization and time management skills; a demonstrated ability to design a work plan, prioritize and meet goals
- Ability and eagerness to go above and beyond and do whatever it takes to get the job done and meet/exceed goals
Salary for this position is commensurate with experience. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is included. See more information about our benefits here.
Educators for Excellence is an equal opportunity employer. We predominantly partner with low-income communities of color. Therefore, though race and other legally protected characteristics are never used to make final hiring decisions, we place a particular focus on recruiting staff members who share the backgrounds of our communities.
To Apply: Submit a resume and cover letter to E4E-New York's Executive Director, Maryanne Kiley